RADS Digitized

This site is brought to you by Roz & Dan, dedicated to pass your time and entertain you...Enjoy!




Taken at Leif and Andrea's housewarming, January 2005

EMAIL & MSN: rozzy21@hotmail.com

10.06.2004

These past two days, I have been frantically contacting and applying for various psychology sites, in hopes of getting an internship with one of them. Most agencies were extremely helpful in providing me with suggestions if they didn't offer an intern program themselves. There was only one psychologist, a private practitioner, who seemed a bit rude and blunt, saying that I shouldn't be contacting private psychologists, but whatever...what harm could it do!?

Anyway, a couple years back, when I was applying for an internship in my undergraduate studies, I got an interview at the Fort Saskachewan Max Prison (I tried to find a picture of this to post on here, but for some reason I couldn't find one. And then I even went to the City of Fort Sask. website, but somehow I doubt they would really advertise this as one of their attractions). Anyways, during the interview with the psychologist, Will, we discovered that his son, Matthew, worked with my dad. At that time, my dad had told me that someone he worked with, named Matthew really looked up to him, because my dad taught him so much. Will was very aware of this, and was super excited to find out this connection. However, due to this connection, Will's boss decided he was not allowed to hire me, on the basis that it may be nepotism. (So that's when I ended up working with autistic children for my internship, something I do not regret doing at all).

Fast forward to present day...

I'm sitting in Will's intern's (Kelly) office today (the position I would have got in my undergraduate years if I had been hired), while I wait for him to get out of a meeting. Kelly and I ended up talking for about half an hour about her job, which seemed really neat. She told me she implements and coordinates programs for the inmates mostly. She also told me a bit about how the inmates treat her, which surprisingly, was harmless and very friendly. She says alot of them are there for drug or alcohol related problems (not surprising there).

Will finally came and basically, he offered me the position right then and there. My internship requires me to counsel individuals, couples, families and groups. However, the population at the max would only be limited to individuals and groups, and I need hours with the other kinds of clients. I also personally would love to work with children. So Will is going to hook me up with a counselling position at BOSCO Homes (group home providers), so I can fulfill my requirements and get the best experience possible. He is willing to be my supervisor for both the max and BOSCO Homes. He's going to great lengths because he is forever grateful to my dad, who's taught his son so much, that I know he wants to return the favour. I guess it doesn't hurt that he thinks I'm a bright girl too! ;o)

So I don't start until either later this year (December?) or early next year, as I still need to take a few more course requirements to prepare for counselling clients. I'm very nervous, but at the same time, very excited!!! YAY!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home